This site is administrated by Community Help Centre, which has always been staffed primarily by volunteers.
History until Uniting with the Voluntary Action Center
- We began in 1971 when a group of Penn State students distributed their home phone numbers to take calls from people in need of support for substance-related issues.
- They subsequently founded On Drugs, Inc, whose services expanded over time until the organization changed its name to Wellspring.
- In 2001, Wellspring merged with the Voluntary Action Center (VAC) of Centre County to form Community Help Centre.
Coordinating Volunteer Opportunities in Centre County
- Since that time, CHC has maintained a binder of Centre County volunteer opportunities, and prospective volunteers have walked in to look up the details, but times have changed and now volunteers can see the "binder" from anywhere.
- The Volunteer Site exists to facilitate connection between organizations seeking volunteers in Centre County and individuals who see themselves filling these volunteer roles for their personal edification and for the betterment of the community.